Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cheese, Chocolate, and Fondue...


I have one picture to sum up my thoughts on Switzerland...
Day 1: We went to Interlaken, Switzerland through a program called Bus2Alps, and as you can guess we took a Bus to the Alps, clever I know! Well the thing is, they advertise the mode of transportation as a luxury bus with DVD players. HA! Lesson #1 in Italy - luxury bus = far from luxury bus! I thought my flight to Italy was bad...I was on a 9 hour bus ride with the person in front of me practically sitting on my lap and I sat next to a kid who is about 6'7" and 250 lb. We stayed at the oldest hostel in Interlaken, which was actually a lot of fun...nothing fancy, but I felt like I was camping. I told dad it was a great experience...however, he argued that sharing a room with 7 people is not his idea of a good experience! We explored the city the first day, jumping on buses, trains, and gondalas (not like Italian boats) and made our way half way up the mountain. We went for a hike in the Swiss Alps! Just saying that makes me happy!!! It was the best experience...the sun was out, the snow sparkled like diamonds, and the view was absolutely incredible. I ate a delicious bratwurst (sorry mom no picture) at the end of one of the ski slopes...we stood out and everyone stared (somehow they always know we are American). The only bar in Interlaken happened to be in the basement of our hostel, which was quite convenient.
Day 2: I would like to be able to say that on this day I went skydiving or paragliding or canyon jumping, but I just couldn't bring myself to do something that scared my mom. The chances of something happening to me were slim to none, but she's been through enough this year, so I opted for the spa! Probably doesn't come as a surprise if you know me well enough. We found a nice little place that had a pool, jacuzzi, steam room, and suanas. Two of my friends and I spent the entire day relaxing at the spa, and I have to admit it was well needed. My only complaint is that had I gone skydiving I would have spared myself from having to see things that have scarred me for life...let's just say that bathing suits were optional, for women AND men...eeek!!! Not young, attractive, Swiss men...but OLD men.

I loved Switzerland, it was soooo pretty! It was the first time I was in the snow since I was a little kid...and I realized how much I love the snow! I survived my first hostel, and actually enjoyed it. The only problem with sharing a room with that many people is my sleep talking! I talk in my sleep the most when I am in a foriegn enviornment. We took a nap after our hike on the first day...and my roommates soon learned that I have a tendency to talk in my sleep. I blame it on them...I was having a nightmare that we were in a cave and all of my roommates had left me...so there I was, "Nooooo, noo, don't leave me!!! No!" Only to be woken up to Kirstin, "Amanda, SHUT UP!!!!" Needless to say, that was the last time I did that :) I loved the food - cheese, chocolate, and fondue...don't think I could have asked for anything better!

Hugs and Kisses!

Ciao
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Hello again
    I read the last one first then this one last. Wow!Enjoy love the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG the picutres are incredible and I do like it better when you are the one in the photo. The format of the blog is lovely and I am so happy you are getting out and exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are gorgeous Amanda!! I'm glad you're having such a great time!!

    ReplyDelete